What are the benefits of work-based learning?
There are loads of advantages in completing vocational training with First4Skills:
• You get to learn while you earn!
• You can put what you have learnt into practice straight away
• Increase your future career prospects
• All our qualifications are nationally-recognised so if you leave your current place of employment you take the qualification with you
• You can learn in a way that suits your lifestyle
• E-portfolio (electronic portfolio) means you don't have to complete a bulky paper based portfolio
• You don't get stuck with university debts
• You can learn from practical experience rather than in a classroom
How will I know which qualification is right for me?
The qualification that you take will very much depend on your current job role and the duties you carry out. Your employer will often specify a selection of suitable qualifications
which, with the guidance of your Training Assessor, you can then review and decide which you would like to complete. These details are all recorded in your Personal Learning Plan.
How quickly can I expect to complete my qualification?
The time taken to complete a BTEC Apprenticeship depends upon the level of the qualification, the industry sector and the individual but on average an Intermediate Level BTEC Apprenticeship takes a minimum of one year and an Advanced Level BTEC Apprenticeship takes between 14 months and two years to complete. Once you have completed an Intermediate Level Apprenticeship you can speak to your training assessor or manager about progressing onto an Advanced Level Apprenticeship.
What if I change my mind? Is there a penalty for not completing?
If you change your mind you are free to leave your training course at any time you wish and you will not be charged.
Can I still go to University if I complete a qualification?
Of course - some work-based qualifications can even count towards UCAS points.
Do I have to take exams at the end of the course?
Some parts of the qualification may need to be completed by testing, either in one of our local training centres or within your workplace, but you will not be required to sit a final exam.
What time of year can I start?
You can start you work-based training at any time of the year, although this is often at the discretion of your employer.